ADOPT A PET
WHAT TO BRING
- A current driver’s license (If your license doesn't show your current address, please bring the Change of Address supplement for your license or another proof of your current address.)
- Proof of current rabies vaccination for any cat(s) and/or dog(s) currently in your home (state law requirement)
- If you rent, proof of landlord approval for the pet you are considering (A copy of your lease is best to be sure you’re matched with an animal appropriate for the terms of your rental.)
- If you're adopting a dog:
- All people living in the home need to meet the dog to be sure he/she will be a good fit for everyone.
- Any dogs already in your home need to meet the potential new family member to see if they’re likely to get along. (It may be easiest to first visit the shelter to select a dog and then go home to pick up any existing dogs. We’ll be happy to put a dog on hold for you for a few hours so you can pick up your dog(s).)
- Please note that we only require that you offer suitable exercise; we don't require a fenced-in yard nor do we require home visits.
- Appropriate handling items for the animal you are adopting: a carrier for a cat or other small animal (or one can be purchased for a small fee), a leash if you are adopting a dog
- Necessary fees for adoption (Our adoption fees are available on this page: Adoption Fees.)
- Please note that you do NOT need to be a resident of Chester County to adopt from us.
You might also want to complete our Adoption Assistance Form prior to your arrival to save you some time. This is the form you fill out to request to visit with an animal available for adoption. You can complete and submit this form online or print out a copy to bring with you. (We keep these forms on file for three months, so if you've completed one within the past three months, we'll pull out your existing form.)
Additionally, if you would like to help our animals with a donation of items the shelter needs, please visit our wishlist page. Items as simple as gently used towels and blankets go a long way to helping our animals. And if you have the means, there are several items you can purchase that would be a huge help to our animals.
If you have any questions about the adoption process, we’d be happy to help. Give us a call at 610-692-6113 x12 during our office hours: Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sat 10-6, Sun/Wed 10-3. (Adoption hours are Mon/Tues/Thurs/Fri/Sat 12-6, Sun/Wed 12-3.)
We look forward to seeing you soon to help you select your forever friend!